Why Can't I Try the App Again

(Jay Miller) #1

Hey Everyone! A while back I was an avid Evernote user. Over 5 years I accrued tens of thousands of notes and a very robust structure. I kept my life in that app.

One day some network thing happened and I wasn’t able to load my evernote. I called support and their recommendation was to load from a backup. Their argument was since the program wouldn’t open I could uninstall EN, delete my local database of notes and then reinstall. When I did this it fixed the problem of Evernote opening, but then my notes where gone.

Fortunately I was able to do some recovery they had but then I was charged for the amount of space that I had to reupload. By this point I was through with Evernote. I deleted my account and vowed to never return to it.

We know what happens next.

Doing so many different things in my life I need a way to organize and collect it all. My notebook is good but there are things I need to record for the long term and my analog system is short/mid term. I’ve been wrestling with the idea of going back to Evernote (I use Bear currently, but my work machine is a PC, so that option is the best.) Every time I try to sign in and download the app, I get hit with a wave of anxiety and immediately close the browser.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them and what did they do. I’m not sure what solution I’m expecting. I honestly just wish for Bear to come out with a web/PC client or get a new job that doesn’t require a PC. But in the meantime my productivity is suffering due to this anxiety.

1. Go to Zapier (https://zapier.com/app/explore)

2. Use the “Backup your Evernote notes to Dropbox” Zap

3. Welcome back

(Jay Miller) #3

It’s not just that. I should say that I have some anxiety issues already I’m seeking help with, but it’s paralyzing to try and use the app.

(Joe Buhlig) #4

That’s never good. If an app legit gives you anxiety because it failed you in the past, then you certainly need to avoid it.

Do you have the Evernote data downloaded (in any format, .enex included) on any of your machines?

(Jay Miller) #5

No I stopped using EN about 2 years ago at this point. I’ve tried using nvAlt synced to dropbox… I’m hopeful of bitwriter (Brett’s remake of nvALT) but until then this is just a major pain point.

(Joe Buhlig) #6

I wouldn’t go back to Evernote. They still don’t seem to have their act together in a way that leads me to trusting them.

Have you tried Sublime Text? That may sound like an odd choice by if you install the file explorer package you can open a folder in ST. Then you can have any form of text file (.md, .txt, .taskpaper) at your disposal. Then you could create a folder structure that houses different “cold storage” files. That’s the sticking point I have with nvALT. The lack of folders.

(Jay Miller) #7

I checked to see if a similar app inkdrop had improved… It appears that it has made some changes since I tried it a year ago. I’m going to look into a bit.