Task Manager Crisis: How do I do a timely Weekly Review in 2Do?

gtd

(Brady) #1

So I left Omnifocus a month ago for 2Do and I did a clean break - I’ve gradually re-populated my tasks as needed (have about 170 or so in there, some in projects and some not, and about 5 checklists so far) and overall I’m pretty happy with my choice.

As I’m sure a few people have experienced here, it’s a bummer not to have a built-in Weekly Review function. I’m wondering what people do instead to get the weekly review done.

I heard the Asian Efficiency Mike Schmitz/Mat Rhein discussion about making a Smart List of just the in-progress projects, but I have a lot of stuff not in projects I’d like to review.

What’s everyone else in 2Do-land doing?

(Wilson Ng) #2

While using 2Do, I learned to use the calendar app or the Due app on my iPhone to remind myself to do the reviews. If a function didn’t exist in the app itself, I find another app that can co-exist. Ideal? No really. But as long as I can find something to plug the hole, I’m OK.

Any projects or checklists that have a lot of change in them (adding, deleting tasks, constant environmental changes) will get a shorter review process because I need to review a project or list on a more continuing basis.

Someday/Maybe projects will get a monthly visit to be reviewed. You might feel more comfortable with doing it once a week or every 2 weeks. I use a monthly checkup because most of these projects don’t require action yet. But I can visit them once a month to see if I need to start something up in the next month.

Most of my active projects will be reviewed weekly.

I think Mat Rhein mentioned using the start date as a way to review. Then defer it again to another future date for a future review.

(Joe Buhlig) #3

You could use OmniFocus to manage your reviews in 2Do! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can’t say I’ve spent enough time with 2Do to make a good recommendation. But what I’d be looking to do is have a repeating checklist somehow that steps me through it and then schedule time to complete that checklist. You could keep it in Evernote, Apple Notes, a text file, or really anywhere that let’s check/uncheck boxes in some way.

Do let us know if you figure out a way that works for you.

(Wilson Ng) #4

It’s ben a while since I’ve played with 2Do. That might just work. Create a checklist with repeating tasks.

[ ] Review project 1 [repeat every 3 days]
[ ] Review project 2 [repeat on the 1st of each month]
[ ] Review project 3 [repeat every Monday]

When you check off a repeating task, it will create a new instance with the next review cycle. But I tend to use a calendar because it is essentially an appointment to me.

(Brady) #5

Thanks Wilson & Joe -
My issue is that there’s not a little coffee cup icon that allows me to file down the list of all my tasks and confirm their status or change them - like in Omnifocus.

I think my recourse for now will just be to go into the “All” view in 2Do and just go down the list making a mental note of my position.

We’ll see how that goes.

(Joe Buhlig) #6

Ah! Got it. You’re after the “next review date” function on your projects? Was it your normal to review a handful of projects every day as opposed to doing them all at once? And is that your preference?

(Josh Rensch) #7

I was wondering if you could put a task in each project you create called “Review xxx project” and have it repeat weekly? Make it the same format so then you could do a search in 2Do. I figure they’ve got a searching function in the app.

Would that work?

(Wilson Ng) #8

The review function is probably the single feature that kept me in OmniFocus.

The closest I came was to create the checklist I described above. I know I didn’t review a task if the task still remains in my review checklist.

The [quote=“bradyjmoore, post:5, topic:1151”]
go into the “All” view in 2Do and just go down the list making a mental note of my position.
[/quote]

I couldn’t do it this way. If I see a huge list of projects to view, I’m tempted to t up to get ahead of myself and review everything instead of stopping and mentally noting where I am. Then the review process takes longer. Not all projects need to be reviewed as much. Active projects will be reviewed more frequently than most of my Someday/maybe projects. Projects and checklists that have a lot of changes will reviewed more frequently than projects that stay static.

For example, the “Complete 1040 taxes” project will get reviewed once a year. But my honey-do list gets reviewed every day.

(Jeremy L. Wells) #9

I use Todoist, but I think the strategy implementation would be similar. I keep a “review” project and keep recurring tasks (assigned to myself every Friday; if I don’t get to them, I can defer them later in the weekend).

I also have daily reviews for inboxes and more frequent things.

(Joe Buhlig) #10

I do this even in OmniFocus. The Review perspective is nice but there’s a lot more to a Weekly Review than just going through the projects themselves. Going through my calendar, doing a brain dump, setting up projects for the next week, and on it goes.

(Brady) #11

Josh- that’s a good incremental approach I think. I’ll try it that way this week

(Joe Buhlig) #12

If I remember correctly, @mat_rhein is a big 2Do person. Mat, do you have any tips on doing reviews in 2Do?

(Wilson Ng) #13

I vaguely remember him saying that he misses some of the OmniFocus features such as review. He might just revisit OmniFocus at the end of the year when a promised update brings batch editing, multiple tags/contexts, and a few other feature requests. This appears to be a common sentiment among users who left OmniFocus for something else. They’ll check back in a few months and see if they can return.

iOS 11 and the recent OmniFocus for iOS update has definitely been a great improvement with drag and drop. I can’t believe I got excited over something as mundane as drag and drop :roll_eyes:. But is sure is nice to be able to nest tasks easily and drag and drop text from one app to another with split screen mode.