I want an Australian Shepherd

(Joe Buhlig) #1

I need to share this because it’s becoming an obsession lately. I really want a blue merle Aussie pup. :dog:

I have a friend who has an Aussie and my dad used to have one as well. I’ve always loved their personality and energy. But that energy comes with a lot of needs. Which means I need to think it through really well before I ever make the decision.

For example, we live in a small town and have a fairly small yard for a dog of this intelligence and exercise needs. Which means a potential lifestyle change where I need to take up running or regular hikes.

But shepherds in general need challenges and problems to solve. Which would mean a need for regular training. Otherwise they can have a tendency to become destructive. I’ve trained dogs before but never one this smart. So I’m likely going to need to enroll in training classes with said dog to make sure I’m on the right path.

Having grown up on the farm, I just love animals in general. And I think there’s a part of me that misses the constant companionship of a dog.

Ok, I’m done now. Thanks for letting me vent. :wink:

(Wilson Ng) #2

That’s so cute… Good luck…

Better think hard though… This is like having another child to take care of. I think you have three already?

(Joe Buhlig) #3

No kidding. :joy:

Yes, we have three girls. And I know this would require a time commitment. My hope is that it could be a learning process for the older two.

At the same time, I know that I’m better off waiting at least until next Spring. Our youngest is simply too little and my free time too sparse at the moment to give a new dog the attention they’ll need.