Getting Back on Track with Work and Life

Getting Back on Track with Work and Life

(Wilson Ng) #1

I’m having one of those days where my plans and schedule has come undone. Good news for you! I’ve been using some of the tips and tricks in these fine links to get back on track!

Give your day a running start to get things done

It’s so easy to get distracted. Checking e-mail, RSS feeds, and social media eats up most of my morning entertainment. Shiny new objects such as my favorite podcasts showing up in my feed and my co-worker showing off his new aerial drone can quickly get me off-track . Trivial tasks that keep me busy but not productive also has a way of tricking me into accomplishing nothing. Here are a few tricks to help you get back on track.

Reboot a terrible morning and get back into the game

I’ve had days when I have a nightmare morning. Nothing seems to work, deals fall apart, or an emergency railroads my schedule. This article gives us three tips on how to get back on the horse and make the most of the rest of the day.

Improve our hyper-scheduling skills by understanding the science behind it

I’ve always suspected that most of my progress during an 8-hour workday is in the two to three hours of deep focus work that I put in. For the rest of the day, I’m just dealing with administrative tasks and busy bee work. This article breaks down the science of time blocking and how we can use it to our advantage by using one of these three methods:

• Intention implementations
  • The 100 blocks a day method
  • Reference class forecasting

Improve your planning strategy with these three methods and watch your 2-3 hours of productivity rocket upwards.

Managing your energy instead of your time

I’ve felt that mid-afternoon crash when my brain goes into near-hibernation mood. That’s the signal for me to switch my workload to something else that doesn’t involve a lot of mental focus. This article talks about the four types of energy (physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual) and how to use each one at different times of the day.

Take a leap of faith and go for it!

Escaping the security of the corporate and becoming a free agent can be scary. But it’s not as scary as you think. Here are five points to think about if you want to make the jump and bravely go into new territory!