I wanted to take a moment to go over some of the ways in which I use Drafts 5. A lot of this was likely possible with Drafts 4, but I’m just now digging into Drafts more and trying to make it work for me in many different ways. I have quite a few workflows that I still want to create for myself, but this should give you a basic idea for how I’m working with it and maybe help you along as well.
Primary Action Group: GTD (2Do, DEVONthink, & Fantastical)
There are 10 actions contained within this group.
- Jump to… – Quickly jump to a list in 2Do
Paste to 2Do – This uses the
pasteURL scheme that supports indented lists for quickly mocking out an idea to send over.
- 2Do NLP – This is using a rudimentary adaptation of the original Things workflow from Viticci. 2Do’s URL scheme doesn’t support fuzzy matching, so I have a few helper keyboard actions to facilitate quickly attaching a List, or Tags, that I frequently use. This requires a companion Workflow action.
- Shopping List – I use Reminders for my grocery lists so this just dumps directly into a Shopping list in Reminders
Prayer Requests – This uses DEVONthink’s
appendURL scheme to paste any new prayer requests I need to remember into a running document in DEVONthink To Go.
Gift Ideas – This is still a WIP, but the idea is to facilitate a group of
appendactions to add items I see at the store or as I’m thinking to running lists for each one of my family members.
- Send to DEVONthink – Pretty straightforward, just pastes the document into DEVONthink
- Event in Fantastical – Sends text to Fantastical to create a new event
- FantastiTasks – Since I use Reminders-sync with 2Do, I can make use of it’s NLP when I don’t have anything complex that I need to get into 2Do. This way I can write a task just like “Pick up package from FedEx tomorrow 4pm” and be done.
- 2Do URL Schemes – Quick-link to get to 2Do’s documentation.
Companion Action Group: Taskpaper Lite
I run this one primarily as a keyboard row only. The actions contained in this group:
- Tab – For indented lists
- Project (#) – Shows a prompt of some frequently used lists
- Due (\) – Add a date/time
- Note (++) – Add a Note
- Tags (@) – Shows a prompt of some frequently used tags
Paste to 2Do &
- Paste to 2Do
The format for this is multi-line tasks with indented sub-tasks. For example:
Update computer to macOS High Sierra Repair permissions Download installer Run installer Update any incompatible apps
This will turn into a project titled: “Update computer to macOS High Sierra” with 4 sub-tasks.
- 2Do NLP
This one loosely follows the conventions that Viticci setup with his Things Workflow action with the actions that 2Do supports. The syntax is:
- \\Due dateTime
Something to do #Home \\tomorrow at 5pm @email ++Required additional information.
This will turn into a task titled: “Something to do” in the list “Home” due “tomorrow at 5pm” with a tag of “email” and a “note” that says, “Required additional information.”
Anyway, hopefully some of you might get some use out of seeing this.