Creating the Eisenhower Matrix in OmniFocus 3

omnifocus
Creating the Eisenhower Matrix in OmniFocus 3

(Wilson Ng) #1

The Eisenhower Matrix is a powerful decision-making process started by the 34th United States President, Dwight Eisenhower. You group your projects into 4 areas:

Organize your tasks into one of four quadrants. Work in Quadrants 1 (Do First) and 2 (Schedule). Quadrants 3 (Delegate) and 4 (Don’t Do It) should not take priority over the first two quadrants.

OmniFocus 3 for Mac and iOS’s multiple tags allows us to finally implement the Eisenhower Matrix. Let’s explore the Eisenhower Matrix in OmniFocus 3.

Note: This post uses the OmniFocus 3 for Mac TestFlight. Final screenshots may change in the final release of OmniFocus for Mac 3.0.

Creating the Eisenhower Matrix tags

Click on the + button at the bottom left of the OmniFocus window. Let’s start creating the Eisenhower Matrix tags:

Let’s start creating a few tasks using the Eisenhower tags. I created several tasks that has at least one tag from each group:

1. Urgency - Urgent or Not Urgent
  2. Importance - Important or Not Important
  3. Context (a tool, location, or a resource. Examples include @Office, @People, or @House.

Creating the Eisenhower Matrix perspectives

There will be four custom perspectives that will focus on each quadrant.

We can “star” the Eisenhower perspectives to get these perspectives in the sidebar. Switch between the perspectives using the perspective sidebar.

Try to do these tasks first!

These tasks are important . Schedule time to get these tasks done.

Delegate these tasks if possible. Othewise, work on them in your spare time.

Tasks that do not advance any personal/professional goals. Do these if you want to be lazy.

Screen layouts

There are three ways to visualize the Eisenhower Matrix in OmniFocus 3:

1. Single Window Mode - One perspective - Use a single window and switch between the four perspectives with the perspectives sidebar. This view is also compatible with OmniFocus 3 for iOS.

1. Single Window Mode - Multiple Tabs - Use multiple tabs in OmniFocus 3 for Mac. This view works well if you don’t want to “star” the perspectives and want to use multiple tabs in one window. To create multiple tabs, use the Perspective menu bar and select the perspective with the Option key held down. OmniFocus 3 for iOS does not have multiple tab views.

1. Multiple Windows Mode - Use 4 separate windows if you have a large screen computer such as an iMac or a MacBook connected to a large external monitor. OmniFocus 3 for iOS does not have multiple windows.

Summary

OmniFocus 3 for Mac’s multiple tags opens up new avenues to use non-GTD productivity systems. The multiple tags feature can be used creatively to fit your personalized workflow.

Do you have your own OmniFocus workflow that you’ve been wanting to try? Use tags in creative ways to get your OmniFocus workflow closer to the way you think.

OmniFocus 3 for iOS is available now. OmniFocus 3 for Mac will be released in September. Share with us if you have something that you’ve been thinking about.

Personally, I’ve been using a method that does not use tags. I rely on due dates to indicate urgency and flags to indicate importance.

My tags have been more context based. But I am slowly starting to explore a whole new world of tags that I’ve never tried before. A great place to start exploring OmniFocus 3 tags provided by @timstringer at:

https://learnomnifocus.com/tags/

Share with us what you’ve done with multiple tags in OmniFocus or your favorite task manager!

(David Negrin) #2

I love your use of the ascii Dice. I’m fond of using emojis in my OF contexts/tags because they are visual and they are also unique and serve well for filtering.

a