Changing how I consume RSS

Changing how I consume RSS
0.0 0

(Joe Buhlig) #1

I mentioned this experiment in one of my earlier #newsletters, but I want to move those experiments to the :guild:. So here we go:

I’ve been using a combination of Feedly and Instapaper for quite some time now. But recently I’ve felt like there was too much clutter in Feedly and have grown curious about an all-in-one feed reader and read-it-later service. It seems like this should be an easy thing to accomplish. I’ve started my experiment with Unread.

I’m not entirely sure this is the right answer but it’s a start.

(Justin DiRose) #2

I’ve heard lots of great things about Unread, but the thing that scares me is that app has changed ownership 2-3 times in the last couple years. I’m using Feedly as a back end and Reeder 3 as my RSS client still. If that hadn’t happened with Unread I’d probably have switched.

(Joe Buhlig) #3

I think I’m becoming less concerned about the ownership of apps. That may be a factor of me being able to switch and migrate data easily. I’ve been pretty picky about using a flexible back-end and something like Unread is purely a UI on that data. So I can’t say this is an issue for me.

Though I’ve looked at Reeder 3 a lot lately. :wink:

You might want to look at Cappuccino - it’s a bit rough around the edges and the look and feel aren’t to everyone’s taste. There’s a free version with an optional $9.99 annual subscription for extra features

(Jeremy Wells) #5

I agree with Joe on Feedly, but I love the ability to read and process on the iOS app as well as in macOS Safari. I keep a pinned tab in Safari with Feedly (my only pinned tab) so I can clear out a feed during interstitial time.

(Joe Buhlig) #6

This looks interesting. But is it really much different than a typical feed reader? Granted, I’m not sure I really know what I’m looking for here.

But do you use a read-it-later service at all? Instapaper or Pocket?

(Jeremy Wells) #7

Negative. I used Pocket pretty solidly for about a year a few years ago, but it created another black hole of despair inbox that I couldn’t commit to regularly processing. My reading workflow starts in Feedly with checking my feeds; then, I’ll use Feedly’s Read Later feature. I also use the Safari extension to add non-Feedly sites and posts to that same list.

I also have a small backlog in my Safari Reading List, from which I try to process out a dozen or so entries at a time once or twice a week. Ideally all my reading would be in one place or another, and I find Feedly’s Read Later list slightly easier to use, but it’s really a coin flip between Feedly and Safari for me.

Not much different at all, functionally. I was thinking more in terms of whether their implementation and UX appeals to you.