A Year Without Extra Screens

A Year Without Extra Screens

(Joe Buhlig) #1

For the last year I’ve been running my business from a MacBook Pro and an iPhone. No iPad. No Watch. And no external monitors.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://joebuhlig.com/a-year-without-extra-screens/

(Luke) #2

After reading Cal Newport’s Deep Work blog posts a while ago, I bought a MacBook Air 11" to replace my multi-monitor layout. I’ve never looked back. The act of swiping with four fingers left-to-right (or using the keyboard shortcut control+direction) will swipe between screens, emulating a multi-monitor layout, without the distraction and power consumption-- and with much more portability.

(Wilson Ng) #3

I’m still on the fence. I used to run a MacBook Pro with a 21" 1080p monitor. But I think I started using the MBP closed up so that I focus on the big monitor. I might open up the MBP to use for palettes and preview windows.

But now I’m thinking of just getting one of those ultra-wide monitors and focus on that. I don’t want to have to switch between two physical monitors all the time.

But, yeah, I do like having up to 3 desktop spaces to work from. Any more than 3 just becomes cumbersome when trying to remember which desktop space holds which windows. I’m holding off on the extra monitor for now because I also like to move around the house or office when I need to find a quiet corner.

(Joe Buhlig) #4

I get the mobility piece here. But I have to admit that the swiping thing never clicked for me outside of writing workflows. I’ve been using Ulysses in full screen mode which means I swipe to get the focused nature.

I’ve been fighting with myself on this one lately. I really feel like I should want one of these and can come up with numerous excuses that justify it. But at the end of the day, my simple MBP screen has served me really well and I don’t feel like I’m behind on productivity because of it. And it comes with the added benefit of knowing how to work from anywhere with just my laptop.