16: I'm a Blue Person

(guildbot) #1

Fires all around. Joe adds to the list of people he blames for missed goals. Josh is not losing weight. And they both struggle with being real on the internet.

Read more…

(Wilson Ng) #2

Thanks for the episode. Just finished going through my podcast backlog and had to chime in.

I agree with Joe’s exploration of the Dashboard and how he has started to move away from it.

I know that I like to use my OmniFocus “dashboard” or Today perspective showing my due or flagged tasks for the day. But I don’t always work exclusively from it. I do like the flexibility to see my due (high priority) or flagged (medium priority) but I do need to get some inconsequential stuff out of the way. I know I’m taught to try to finish some Due work and flagged work first before doing anything else. But if I’m doing a highly focused task that just drains my mental capacities (finish my taxes or administrative monthly reports), I need to switch off and do something brain dead like wash the dishes or process my photos from my digital camera. It’s often a task that requires little focus or mental energy.

It’s nice to be able to break away from official GTD canon and just spin off to create a GTD-based workflow that works best for each of us.

But I think the best teacher is experience. Let people work on their dashboard or Today list. Then they’ll branch away eventually and incorporate other methods of working into their productivity system.

(Joe Buhlig) #3

The interesting thing here is that a lot of people tend to think of a Today list or even the Dashboard concept as an idea taught and advocated by David Allen and GTD enthusiasts. It’s not. It’s an addition to the original idea of working off of contexts and is itself a form of a context. That context being specific to today.

This is exactly how I’ve been using it. I still set due dates and flag things and I certainly still check the Dashboard perspective but I rarely work from it these days. It’s simply a list to review that helps me feel good about running through my other lists.

(Justin DiRose) #4

It’s all about mindset and how you view it. I’m finding how you look at your lists is just as important (or moreso) as actually looking at your lists.